Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Roasted Garlic & Squash Pasta Sauce

The Lowdown:

Las Vegas -- the only place that has ever inspired me to go on a cleanse. I'm not talking about just showering either. Although, that city does make you feel like you need ten showers a day. I'm talking about the real deal -- liver, kidney, and maybe a little soul cleansing. Having just returned from Sin City, I am in severe need of some form of a health kick. Two weeks to be exact... is the goal I may or may not make it to.

As we all know, diets are lame. Uber lame actually. Cleanses are even worse. But if you make horrible life decisions like me, and have to endure through one, you might as well make the best of it. This is one of those recipes that I think just might make a diet and/or cleanse better. Oh man, just saying the word cleanse makes me want a glass of wine. They say you always want what you can't have. Then again, I wanted wine when I was allowed to have it. Deductive reasoning would clearly state that this idiom was devised for some purpose other than wine.

Although this meal bent a few minor rules, I felt really good about it. I avoided all the major no-nos which is the true purpose of a cleanse. I also used up the remainder of my ceasar dressing. Actually, it's my friend's "Doukhobor" ceasar recipe. He insists everything needs more garlic. After eating it, I understand. Some things just need more garlic.

I may have bent the truth. I attempted to make his "Doukhobor" dressing recipe, but instead of mincing everything I threw it all in a blender because I was lazy. Needless to say, that was a bad idea. It came out a sludge. Nobody wants that on their lettuce. However, add a little bit of roasted squash and blam-o -- a perfect, healthy, and tasty pasta sauce.

Stupid blender. In two weeks, when this cleanse is over, that blender will pay dearly for this by making me a margarita...



The Playlist:

Sauce:
1 Butternut squash
1/2 cup Olive oil (more if needed to make a paste)
7-10 cloves Garlic
1 Lemon, juiced
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
2 tsp Pepper, fresh cracked
2 tsp Paprika, smoked
Salt & pepper, to taste

Optional Topping:
250g Sundried tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup Oregano (fresh), chopped
1/2 cup Terragon (fresh), chopped
4 Shallots, minced
3 tbsp Olive oil
3 tbsp White wine vinegar
Salt & Pepper, to taste

GF Fettuccine:
1/4 cup Brown rice flour
3/4 cup Chick pea flour
1 Egg
Water
Chick pea flour, as needed

The Skinny:


Sauce Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375*.
  2. Cut squash in half and de-seed. In large baking dish 1/4 full of water: place squash face down and bake for 40 minutes.
  3. In blender: combined the rest of the sauce ingredients and puree. Set aside until squash is finished.
  4. Remove squash from oven when finished. Remove the skin and add the flesh of the squash to the blender. Puree until smooth.
  5. Voila, sauce is done.
GF Pasta Directions:
  1. In large mixing bowl: combine flours and egg. Mix until egg is incorporated into the flour. Add enough water to form a dough ball. This isn't a science so add more water and/or flour until it resembles a very dense pizza dough.
  2. Kneed dough on a well floured surface for approximately 5 minutes. After kneeding it shouldn't be tacky.
  3. Cover dough ball with cellophane wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
  4. Cut dough ball into two.
  5. Use pasta maker as per the directions that came with the pasta maker. 
 Optional Topping Directions:
  1.  In large skillet: heat oil on medium-high heat. Add shallots and saute until clear.
  2. Add sundried tomatoes, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
  3. Add remainder of ingredients to the pan except for the fresh herbs. Sautee on high heat for 5 minutes, then remove from heat and add the herbs. Mix quickly and serve.

Stay Rad -h
Featured on: Premeditated Leftovers33 Shades of GreenChef in TrainingFood Renegade, Foodie Friday,  

1 comment:

  1. This post is so funny and true. I read it to my husband and he was laughing too. I will have a glass of wine for you.

    ReplyDelete