Thursday, January 17, 2013

Rippin Another Blog: Chocolate Covered Bananas Wrapped in Walnuts

Good morning dear readers!

Can you believe I'm still eating sweets?? 

I can. It seems to me that we crave what we eat. If you're in the habit of munching on salt, you want salt. If you tend to lean toward green, you want veggies. Meat eaters like their meat. And sweet eaters like their sweet. 


Christmas made a sweet eater out of me. And while I'm definitely on the road to vegetables again, I still crave a treat. 

This snack was about as split as banana can be. Well, except for the ice cream and candy sprinkles. But it was half fruit, half sweet. And I'm good with that. Throw in the nuts and you've got yourself one tasty, happy fat rich snack.

The recipe comes from The Joyful Table. A blog by a woman named Noelle who reaches out and touches my little heart soul. Not literally. Ouch. But figuratively - she's all about finding joy in the cherished moments around her kitchen table. That's my kinda scene. And while she touts this recipe as "embarassingly simple" - it's the simple things that make a dish worth eating. 

Thank you Noelle - I needed this today. Or at least my mouth did.

Chocolate Covered Bananas Wrapped in Walnuts
(printable recipe) - Serves 4.


Ingredients:

2 Bananas, with the peels just a little green still.
1 C Good Quality Dark Chocolate, roughly chopped.
1 C Roasted Walnuts, roughly chopped.
4 Wooden Skewers.

What to Do:

Peel the bananas and slice them in half lengthwise. Impale them on the skewers and place on a parchment paper lined plate. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes while you get the rest of the ingredients ready.

Get the rest of the ingredients ready...

Dump the chocolate pieces into a double boiler (a pot with 2 inches of water and a glass bowl that fits over top works well - make sure the water doesn't hit the bowl).  Heat the water to a boil over medium heat, stirring the chocolate constantly to ensure it doesn't burn. Once melted and hot, remove from heat.

Place the walnuts in a large shallow bowl. Set aside.

Remove the bananas from the freezer and dredge in the chocolate and then the nuts.

Place back on parchment paper and place in the fridge for 30 - 60 minutes or until chocolate hardens.

Eat. 


What are your go-to desserts? Are you still stuck on the holiday sweet train? Choo choo!


Photobucket


8 comments:

  1. Those look good. Very good. Better than the creamy dark chocolate banana muffins I fixed the kids the other day. Though to the muffins' credit (can I give credit to a muffin?) they were also delicious.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can always give credit to a muffin kirsten - muffins are great.

      Delete
  2. Oh, good grief.

    I'm totally gonna make these this weekend.

    And what you said about craving is really true. For me it's always been and always will be: salt. Forever and ever salt.

    I eat green olives out of the jar. My french fries look like they have crystalline snow on them.

    Yet I have ridiculously low blood pressure. Fuck you, science.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at nuts.
    And then you had to go throw in something phallic like bananas and something delicious like chocolate. I'm making these, although I doubt they'll be as pretty as yours. I'm going to eat them anyway. My ugly nutty chocolate-y banana-y stick. Mmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm so glad you commented on the phallicness of them! it was all i could say as i was taking photos. i was all "john - how can i make something like a penis look pretty????"

      Delete